Tuesday, September 06, 2005

It's Time For The Pendulum To Start Swinging Back

One of the many lessons of history I remember learning from my Father was him telling me that it's like a pendulum. When our government starts going too far in one direction it is inevitable that it will start swinging back the other way. Well, I think the apex of the conservative movement was hit durning Bush's first term. He used his "political capitol" for war and tax cuts. Now that war and last weeks ineptitude under a microscope have shone too much light on his sad plan of I've got mine see if you can get yours.

Read these two:

Thom Hartmann
"You Can't Govern if You Don't Believe in Government"
But the Reagan/Bush ideologues don't "believe" in government, in anything other than a military and police capacity. Government should punish, they agree, but it should never nurture, protect, or defend individuals. Nurturing and protecting, they suggest, is the more appropriate role of religious institutions, private charities, families, and - perhaps most important - corporations.
Government failed New Orleans, coast
If ever there was a time for leadership in America, it was this week as New Orleans devolved into anarchy, chaos and human misery. Instead of a leader, we got George W. Bush. Too bad for New Orleans.
And help out here if you can:
This is from my friend Tara at Sam Bass Community Theatre. If you can help, email her back at :
lharris23@Austin.rr.com

Hi! I'm emailing everyone I might know to ask for some help. Besides doing clothing, money, and toy drives at school this week, I have several friends volunteering at the shelters, trying to help hurricane Katrina victims.

I was asked to pass on a list of much needed items that haven't been asked for in the news at all or often enough; if you can help out in any way, please let me know, and I will contact my volunteer friends to make sure that the items get to the right place. They've even offered to do pick up!

Items Needed:

Baby Bottles with nipples
Diaper Rash Cream
Denture Cream
Mylanta
Benadryl
XL Bras/Underwear
XL Women's Clothing
Universal batteries for cell phones (or universal chargers--available at Radio Shack--people's phones are dead and they are trying to get numbers off of them so that they can try and track family members down).

Please let me know if you can help with any of these items...and if you've already given, bless you. We had our first evacuees register on our campus last week. Anything you can do means the world to these people right now.

Thank you! Tara





No comments: