Friday, January 13, 2006

A Proud Democrat For Jim Stauber

I will preface this with a couple of comments. There are a couple of things all active Democrats in Williamson County know is that when you find another Democrat and you acknowledge each other the first thing is you see there face light up with delight and then they say, "I thought I was the only one". The moral to the story is there are Democrats all over Williamson County.

January 10, 2006

While blockwalking for Jim Stauber last Sunday afternoon, I ran into a lady who said that she knew she was the only Democrat in her neighborhood in Cedar Park. “You do have one Democrat neighbor in a house a couple streets over.”

“Oh, thank goodness!”, she exclaimed. “I thought I was the only one left around here.” I then asked her if she wanted to get involved in Jim’s campaign, and she said no, she didn’t have the time. I then asked her if she wanted to put up a yard sign for him, and she said “No, I gotta stay low-key around here. I don’t want any kind of reprisals from my neighbors.”

Q: Since when did being a Democrat become such a horrible thing?

A: Since we decided we weren’t going to stand up for ourselves. Since we decided that we were going to remain silent and let our Republican coworkers and friends badmouth our ideals and that we would remain non-confrontational.

The Democratic Party has a heritage to be proud of. Democrats pushed for the Nineteenth Amendment, giving women the right to vote in 1920. Democrats pushed through civil rights legislation in the 1960’s. It took a Democratic president to revive our slumping economy in 1992 giving us at least 8 years of prosperity.

I’m tired of being afraid of being a Democrat, and you should be too. Be proud!

And in the meantime, I need people to get energized about the Jim Stauber campaign. Jim is a contender, and he can’t help but win if people get behind him. He is extremely electable, and will serve his constituency much better than the incumbent, Dan Gattis. We plan on blockwalking in Cedar Park over the MLK weekend.

I always welcome comments and rebuttals. I can be reached at (512) 484-9196.

Skylor R. Williams

Jim Stauber for District 20 Campaign

(DEMOCRAT AND PROUD!)


Jim Stauber for State House Rep. Dist. 20
www.jstauber.com

No comments: